Sunday, January 16, 2011






Emmelyn's great-grandmother (Melinda's grandmother) passed away today, January 16, 2011. We will miss her good-natured fiesty spirit, and will think back to many fond memories at her lake cabin at South Twin Lake.

We were especially blessed that grandma got to meet Emmelyn in November at the baptism. She held Emmelyn for a long time, and when I offered to take Em off her hands, worried that her arm might be getting tired, she said, "Oh, that's OK. I don't get tired doing this...I've held many, many babies for a long time." And she most certainly did! She loved her many great-grandchildren, always reminding us to "take care of those little ones." She made special homemade pizzelles (a norwegian delicacy) for Emmelyn's baptism. She passed on her lefse recipe at a bridal shower, and I will never forget that and her knack for an awesome krumkaka.

While it's a sad occasion, we are looking forward to heading back to Fargo-Moorhead briefly this weekend to celebrate Grandma's life and to spend some time with family. I am looking forward to seeing many of my cousins --Grandma would have been happy knowing we were all together, having somewhat of a good time despite the sad occasion. My memories of my dad's family growing up are just that --lots of people, food,and fun, all together. We will miss Grandma Loyal.

No comments:

Post a Comment