Monday, February 22, 2010

A glimpse into Joe's world

I'll admit it. I haven't been a total peach during the first part of my pregnancy. And because I want to try to write about all the things I go through and not just focus on the "isn't it so wonderful that we're having a tiny bundle of joy and everything is perfect" or the "hey, did you know our baby is the size of a kumquat this week", I'll share one of my recent mini pregnancy meltdowns that even left me laughing at the strange place the influx of hormones took me momentarily.

It started on Sunday when the anti-nausea medication --or possibly some serious cell dividing/super hormone surge going on with the baby --had me back to square one with the whole nasty morning sickness that plagued me for several weeks nonstop during my first weeks of pregnancy. I thought I had crossed that bridge when I went on the anti-nausea medication the other week, and was kind of crushed to be throwing up multiple times a day again like I was a few weeks back(Sorry, that is kind of too much information. But this is a pregnancy blog, after all. You can't expect it to be all bunny blankets and baby powder, you know? ;-) )

My Monday started out the same way, and by the time it was noon, I was sick and exhuasted and ready to go back to bed. But, Joe and I had our daycare interviews set up and it was time to forge ahead.

Joe was getting up (he works nights, so getting up at noon isn't unusual, for those who might not know Joe works the night shift) and we started to have a conversation about the daycares and budgeting and things like that. In the middle of it, I got sick (again).

Joe, always sympathetic and never rattled but my mood swings of late, calmly asked what he could do to help. A glass of water, a snack, a back massage.

"You can throw up for a change!" I said, then broke into inexplicable tears which lasted for a few minutes before I then had to go throw up again. The tears intensified when I had trouble with the shower curtain (had to wash my hair again, you can probably guess why) and again when Joe came back to check on me.

"Your life is so easy! You never throw up!" I told him. He offered a sympathetic hug, and then went to get ready for the appointment. About 20 minutes later, he came back in the room and I was feeling a little better.

Then we just had a good laugh that I'd had a meltdown over a shower curtain. Sigh. Apparently these days, shower curtains can present their own sort of emotional trauma.

In the meantime, thank goodness I have a patient husband who has read "The Dude's Guide to Pregnancy." He informed me that Chapter 2 told him that no matter what he says or does, he will always be in the wrong for awhile while the wife gets through the difficult parts of the pregnancy.

"The book told me you might be like this," Joe said, knowingly.

Smart authors, those guys who wrote "The Dude's Guide to Pregnancy," are. And smart me to marry a good husband who is patient with my current state of craziness.

No comments:

Post a Comment